Thursday, May 14, 2009

Expectations

I tend to keep my goals to myself. I tend to think of it this way: I have 4 possible outcomes.

1.) If I tell people about one of my goals and do not accomplish it I disappoint not only myself, but also the people who were looking forward to the outcome.

2.) If I tell people about one of my goals and accomplish it I am happy and they are excited as well (hopefully) about the outcome.

3.) If I don't tell people about one of my goals and I do not accomplish it I am disappointed but no one else is.

4.) If I don't tell people about one of my goals and I do accomplish it I am happy and people are surprised and happy to find out.

Those are the four options the way I see it. Now I've been told that sometimes having other people aware of your goals will help motivate you, but I have found that this isn't very strongly the case with me. Now you know why I'm hesitant to freely share my future plans and/or goals. Feel free to debate the logic of my 4 scenarios in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment