Monday, March 30, 2009

Reason versus Passion

I don't want to go into the "Reason vs Faith" argument because it takes too long and I don't have the motivation to type that much. I do, however, wish to share my thoughts on a different matter of balance.

I can't say that this discord between passion and reason is a perfect scale, nor that it applies to everyone. There are many who are passionate and reasonable and many more who are dispassionate and unreasonable. I have noticed, however, that there is a very vocal (if not large) group of people who seem to be lacking in reason and having an overabundance of passion. I'd rather not get into the politics or specifics in this setting.

On the opposite spectrum, I think that the more reasonable one can be, the easier it is to lose passion. With reasoning comes the realization that things are not black and white, and nothing can cut at people's motivation like gray areas.

I think that what makes true leaders and world-changers are those who manage to keep their passions without losing reason.

1 comment: